Sunday, March 30, 2008

In the begining...




I hope the worm has turned for the weather. It is soggy, and green. Perfect spring weather here in the Mid-South. All the trees and shrubberies are a bloom or budding. The cold season grass is getting lush and full, and the frogs and bugs are waking up from their naps.

Nice enough, but all this is just a pleasant backdrop to the garden. So far the following has been planted:
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, turnips, dwarf bok choy, lettuce, carrots, onions(which are doing very poorly) and potatoes. The taters haven't sprouted up yet, but they shouldn't for a couple weeks yet. The rest is rolling along nicely, the cole crops are especially hardy. As you can see by both these photos, I spilled bok choy seeds in my letture, and lettuce seeds in my yard. Let it grow baby. Still it will be weeks before any real harvest is acquired. The tomatoes are still inside near a South facing window. I should be able to put them out this next week during the day to continue growing. I will post pictures once they've been potted up.


I should have everything to make a stir fry dish like this one grown in my own garden by this time next month. That feels pretty good. I hope it tastes the same. Ok, the bean sprouts were purchased at the local Asian market. The owner's mother grows them fresh, so I'll leave them to her.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got my two ambitious-for-me beds ready this weekend and my cup 'o tomatoes, basil and peppers are peeping up. WOo hoo!!!! (i'm a little behind you, but equally excited)

I need a suggestion for a bush for my front bed. If you're facing the house, it would be the right front corner of the house.


E

Pad guy said...

E,

Since that part of the faces North and is under a maple no? Therefore it get's mucho shade, be sure to get a shade tolerant plant.

That limits you and is vague, but maybe it will prevent you from spending 50 bucks on a plant that will never truly thrive.

Cheers!